Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Harry Potter Styrofoam Cup Hat Tutorial



I came across this fun idea and thought I needed to spread the word.  I was looking for some favors for a tea party.  I saw this idea of making a little hat out of a styrofoam cup.  I just had to try it.

This is what my final projects looked like.  They are 2 inches tall.

Looks more like a swash buckling hat, right?  But that was all I had to work with.


And this is how it started.  This is a 4 1/2 inch styrofoam cup.    They probably come smaller and would make a cute teeny tiny hat.



I put it on foil on a pan and put it in the oven at 250 degrees for about 10 minutes.  At first I didn't take my eyes off the cup, thinking it would melt all over and leave a mess.  But then that got old.


Ten minutes is about right.  But check them once in a while.  If they stay in too long they start to droop to the side - which isn't bad, if that is the look you are looking for.  I also found that you can put many in the oven at the same time.  They shrink down so much that they don't bother each other.

And they turn out to be this little hat looking thing.  It is really amazing.

I wonder who thinks up this stuff.



I decorated mine with ribbon, feathers and buttons - just because that is what I had.




It was really fun.  The table looked cute.  It was just the right touch.

Imagine what you could do with a Halloween party or a Harry Potter Party.  You could melt them a little crooked and make them into little Sorting Hats.   Or how about the Cat in the Hat, or a pirate party, or ........ see what I mean?

Could be a lot of fun.

2 comments:

  1. that is so cute! I might have to try this to make little hats for my daughter to put on her little bears for their tea parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! That will be a fun little party.

      Delete